Then and Now: Brixton Windmill
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1962 The Brixton Windmill was built in 1817 and leased to John Ashby.
By 1862, the surrounding area had become too built up for the windmill to operate efficiently, so the building was used for storage.
The windmill returned to milling from 1902-1934 with steam, and then gas, power.
Since 1962, the windmill has been owned by the London County Council and forms the centrepiece of Windmill Gardens.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Feb 2004 Although the grade II listed windmill has since had its sails restored, it has been registered as 'at risk' since 1995.
Stranded in a rather bleak and under-developed setting, local residents have been lobbying to fully restore the windmill and transform the surrounding park.
Updated photos: Brixton Windmill Festival 2007
More info: brixtonwindmill.org.
« back to history homepage next page »