Then and Now: George Canning Public House
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1905 Situated at the junction of Effra Road and Water Lane, The George Canning public house was the terminus of a London General Omnibus Company bus route. Note the stone statue to the left of the picture, known locally as 'Diogenes'. The statue was reputed to have featured in the 1851 Great Exhibition, being erected outside the pub after falling from the back of a cart whilst being transferred from Hyde Park to the new site at Sydenham!
Another 1905 view of the pub.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Dec 2003 Now renamed, 'The Hobgoblin', the pub continues to be a popular attraction in Brixton, offering live music, comedy nights and an old-fashioned pub atmosphere. The pub forecourt (formerly an old car-park) is now an outdoor drinking area which gets incredibly popular in the summer months, especially during one-day festivals like Cannabis J-Day and the Lambeth Country Show.
UPDATE AUG 2007: The Hobgoblin is no more and has been replaced by a, err, Scottish theme pub!
« back to history homepage next page »