Then and Now: Coldharbour Lane/Denmark Hill junction
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1950 A "change pit" user to stand at the Camberwell end of Coldharbour Lane, where trams switched from overhead to underground power supply. In this picture, a number 34 tram to Blackfriars lowers its trolley pole, while the 'Plough-shift attendant' waits to 'plough up' the next northbound tram.
(pic: H.B. Priestly)
May 2003 A relatively unchanged scene greets the viewer 50 years on. All the shops have changed owners, however, with Wilson's Bakeries (on the corner) becoming a picture framing shop and United Dairies (second left) turning into an estate agents.
« back to history homepage next page »