Then and Now: Lambeth Carlton Club, Brixton Village, Coldharbour Lane
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
(Modern photo © urban75, July 2009)
1912 The grand Georgian-styled premises of the Lambeth Carlton Club on Coldharbour Lane.
The club first appears in the 1894 Ordnance Survey map - the previous 1870 edition recorded three large houses with ornamental gardens facing Coldharbour Lane. Carlton House appears to have swallowed up the two closest to the railway bridge and been extended at the back.
The 1898 Booth map shows the building marked as being the Brixton Conservative Association - if you look close you can just make out those words on the two ground floor windows on the left.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Detail from the 1894 Ordnance Survey map of Brixton. The building immediately to the right of the club was replaced by the Walton Lodge Laundry in 1904.
Brixton Village, July 2009
Built to the designs of Messrs Alfred and Vincent Burr, the Granville Arcade opened in 6 May 1937 and was named after its developer, Mr Granville-Grossman.
The opening must have enjoyed some pizzazz, with the popular Danish actor Carl Brisson cutting the tape.
The arcade consists of over 100 small shops in tall covered streets called 'Avenues', and links Coldharbour Lane, Atlantic Road and Popes Road.
A rather pointless rebranding exercise saw the arcades being renamed as Brixton Village in the mid-2000s.
Plans to completely redevelop the site and demolish the current buildings and replace them with a 10 story privately owned residential tower block and private park were met with fierce opposition from the local community, and the plans were shelved.
As for the Lambeth Carlton Club, they seem to have slipped into the sands of time, with a creditors' meeting being called on Thursday 27 March 1941.
From bowling greens to the Brixton Village-changing Brixton life
See how Brixton Village looked in 1961 with Pathe's Caribbean Market footage
Discuss this on our bulletin boards
See 360º panorama of Brixton Village
Friends of Brixton market
« back to Brixton history homepage Next page »