Then and Now: Lo'boro Junc: Coldharbour La/ Hinton Rd
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1921 This view was taken looking past the Green Man public house, on the corner of Coldharbour Lane and Hinton Road. At this time, Loughborough Junction was a bustling shopping area, with shops surrounding all sides of the crossroads. Note Bryant Booksellers to the right of the pub, with Rees The Chemists (opposite) trying to entice photographers with their large draped banner, 'Rees for Kodaks'.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
July 2003 A truly desolate scene greets the viewer eighty years on. The Green Man pub has been boarded up, retail buildings demolished and most of the shops are closed.
« back to history homepage next page »