Then and Now: Electric Avenue (west)
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1912 Electric Avenue was once a very fashionable shopping street - witness the proliferation of expensive cars parked next to the glazed iron canopy. To the left is the busy ('Sugar Reduced') Tea Rooms, with Parkes Drug Stores opposite.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
May 2003 Sadly, the south side of Electric Avenue has lost some of its buildings, with an ugly 1960s development ruining the symmetry of the street. The family run fruit and veg market stall in the foreground has been there for over 50 years. Parkes Drug Stores has been replaced by - appropriately enough - Boots the Chemist.
« back to history homepage next page »