Then and Now: Electric Avenue towards Brixton Rd
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1921 The row of parked cars reflect the upmarket status of Electric Avenue. A line of ladies and gents fashion stores dominate the left hand side of the Avenue, while signs for a pet store and a Lyons cafe can be seen underneath the canopy to the left.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Nov 2003 This was a really tough photo to line up because so much had changed. The canopies had vanished and a great chunk of Electric Avenue was flattened in the Second World war, destroying the symmetry of the street. A set of rather grubby, two-storey 1960s concrete shopping units have replaced the buildings nearest Electric Lane. Note the single remaining strip of the original building next door.
« back to history homepage next page »