Then and Now: Brixton Old Fire Station
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1870s This modest, two storey building in Ferndale Road was Brixton's first fire station. It was in use from the 1870s until being replaced by a far larger fire station in Gresham Road in 1907.
(pic: Greater London Record Office)
April 2003 Over a century later, the building is still extant, although it's suffered an unsympathetic conversion into offices.
« back to history homepage next page »