Then and Now: Electric Pavilion/Ritzy Cinema
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1911 The Electric Pavilion was built in 1910 by E. C. Homer and Lucas for Israel Davis, one of a noted family of cinema developers. The cinema opened on 11 March 1911 and was one of England's earliest purpose built cinemas seating over 750 seats in the single auditorium.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Dec 2003 The cinema operated as the Electric Pavilion until 1954, when it was renamed the 'Pullman' and the organ removed. It was later remaned 'the Classic' before closure in 1976. A collaboration between Lambeth Council and the management of the time ensured the cinema's survival, with the facade being rebuilt and restored to near-original condition. The cinema now thrives as a multiscreen complex with bar and cafe facilities.
« back to history homepage next page »