Then and Now: Prince of Wales public house
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1910 View from Brixton Road looking down Coldharbour Lane. The Prince of Wales Hotel is to the left, with the Electric Pavilion Cinema on the right. There's been a public house called the Prince of Wales on this site since 1800. Note the policeman facing the camera (standing in the road) and the horse being led up Coldharbour Lane.
See hotel adverts
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Dec 2003 The building line moved forward in the 1930s, occupying what had once been forecourts and gardens along Brixton Road. The Prince of Wales was rebuilt in a 'streamlined' style, but now only trades from part of the ground floor, with the rest of the building being used for housing and a horrid KFC fast food store.
See our Brixton pub guide.
« back to history homepage next page »