Then and Now: Public Toilet, Tate Library Gardens
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1929 Conveniently located to serve visitors to the Brixton Theatre and the Electric Pavilion, two underground toilets (male/female) were constructed in 1929.
Note the elaborate curved 'Gentlemen' sign over the entrance and the attractive wrought iron railings and greenery in the background.
Feb 2008 Despite Brixton's growth and increased night economy, these handy toilets have been closed for years.
Mind you, it seems that some people are still keen to use the old loos, so they now just piss on the ugly hoardings surrounding the old entrance.
Various arty ideas have been hatched to reuse the space, but we suspect most people would just like some properly attended toilets put back, along with the nearby fountain that disappeared a few years back.
Note that the gardens and the railings have also disappeared, leaving a bleak, barren sweep of tatty, uninviting concrete. Great work, planners!
View of construction work, 1929.
Remains of Ladies' toilets.
Ladies' toilet sign, with wires hanging out.
Gentlemen's toilets, with the forlorn bust of Sir Henry Tate, isolated on the concrete plains to the right.
More: Windrush Square opens, 2010
(Archive pics: Lambeth Archives)
« back to history homepage next page »