Then and Now: St Matthew's Church, Brixton
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1912 St Matthew's was one of four new Lambeth parish churches built in response to the growing population in the early 19th century. Consecrated in 1824, the church featured an imposing facade created by the architect C.F.Porden.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Sept 2003 Externally, very little has changed over the years, but there's been some major structural changes inside the church. Falling congregations resulted in parts of the building being used as a restaurant, a bar, a club and a community resource, although the Anglican Church of St Matthew's still worships on the site. In the 1990s, the church also briefly housed Brixton's last theatre, The Brix.
« back to history homepage next page »