Then and Now: Brixton Old Fire Station, Ferndale Road
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1905 Another view of the Brixton fire station in Ferndale Road. Note the unusual chimneys. To the right, work has just started on extending the Bon Marche department store.
(pic: European Visual Archive)
Jan 2005 The Bon Marche building (now used as a Post Office) dwarfs the former Fire Station, which has been significantly altered and extended over the course of a century.
« back to history homepage next page »