Then and Now: 417 Brixton Road, central Brixton
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1910 A view of the fine curving premises of Landy & Berlin ('the great expert tailors') at 417, Brixton Road (on the corner of Brixton Station Road). The image was taken from an advertisement in the Lambeth Guide which boasted, 'Ladies' Tailoring a Specialité'. The tailors claimed to offer the 'Latest London and Paris models', with costumes available for 63/- (£3.15). Note the four large hanging gas lamps.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Jan 2004 The intricate Edwardian shop frontage has been lost, with its current owners, the Lambeth Building Society, converting half of the window display into office space. Outside, a makeshift - and rather shambolic-looking - stall sells mobile phone cards and accessories.
A view of the building above the shopfront, Feb 2008.
« back to history homepage next page »