Then and Now: 395 Brixton Road, central Brixton
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1910 A fine window display graces this corner shop on the junction of Brixton Road and Beehive Place.
Three huge gas lamps dominate the frontage with what could be the proprietor, Thomas Potts, standing in the doorway.
The store offers 'delicious blended coffees and teas to suit all', 'bottled ales, stout and mineral waters' and 'Gibley's Wines and Spirits'.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Jan 2004 The site was destroyed in the Second World War and this bland monstrosity rose up from its ashes in the late 1990s.
Somehow costing a quarter of a million to build, this architecture-untroubled block of steel and concrete was somehow deemed totally suitable for the Conservation Area it inhabits.
Brixton desperately needs some exciting, challenging modern architecture - so why do we have to put up with this kind of rubbish?
The building is used by 'Candy of Brixton', a discount clothing store.
« back to history homepage next page »