Then and Now: Bon Marché, Brixton Road
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1910 A summer view of the Bon Marche department store at the junction of Brixton Road and Ferndale Road. Note the balcony running along the front of the building and the window display of millinery nearest the camera.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Jan 2004 The upper floors of the building are now used for office space and small businesses, while the ground floor is shared between retail units and a public house, The Goose. The pub (previously known as the Flourmill and Firkin) has never really managed to capture the imagination of Brixtonites and remains a rather cold and unwelcoming bar (see Brixton bar guide)
« back to history homepage next page »