Then and Now: Gresham Road/Brixton Road
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1950 A number 34 tram changes over from overhead to underground electricity supply at the junction of Gresham Road and Brixton Road. In the background to the left can be see the heavily bombed out remains of the Quin & Axtens department store, with further damage visible to the right. (There's an interesting war time diary of a Streatham resident on this site). This picture was taken a few hours before the end of all tram services from this location, on 30th September, 1950.
(pic: R.J.S. Wiseman)
April 2003 The buildings may have been fully restored, but Quin & Axtens is now but a distant memory, with its premises being broken up into smaller shops and offices (the ground floor at the corner of Stockwell Road is currently a Barnardos charity shop). A large, 11-storey office block has sprung up in the middle distance, with a huge increase in traffic levels making this a very busy junction.
« Brixton history homepage next page »