Then and Now: Junction of Brixton Road and Atlantic Road
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c 1920 Originally starting life as J W Clark Exchange Stores in the 1890s, these substantial retail premises were taken over by Woolworths before they relocated to a custom built store further up Brixton Road (in 1936) before the store closed for good in early 2009.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
April 2003 The original buildings were destroyed during the Blitz. Subsequent redevelopment work has resulted in the building line being altered substantially over the years - so much so that only the railway bridge (behind the tree) and the large lamp post seem to remain in both photographs!
« back to history homepage next page »