Then and Now: Brixton Rd, trams and railway bridges
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c. 1905 A busy street scene, looking north up Brixton Road. Note the two overhead railway bridges. Several horse drawn and electric trams can be seen, with a lone cyclist heading towards Stockwell. Everyone in the picture is wearing a hat! A sign to the left advertises a restaurant, serving "Foreign Wines, Ales, Stout and Draught". Ices can also be purchased for 3d, 4d or 6d.
Feb 2004 The electric trams have now been replaced by less environmentally-friendly diesel buses. Both the overhead railway bridges have both been replaced, with the building line taken back on the right. The restaurant is now part of the Body Shop chainstore.
« back to history homepage next page »