Then and Now: Beehive pub, Brixton Road
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c 1905 Looking north up Brixton Road. Closest to the camera can be seen the caterers, Spiers and Pond who ran refreshment rooms all over the country. The boot shop next door announces itself with a large painted wall proclaiming: ' J Sears & Co TrueForm Boot Co Ltd. Branches in London and all Large Towns. Factory Northampton'. Note the departing No18 tram.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Jan 2004 A threatening winter sky hangs overhead in this afternoon view. The boot shop has now been replaced by the Beehive, a pub popular with Brixton's 'economy' drinkers, while the impressively large first floor windows have vanished.
« back to history homepage next page »