Then and Now: Brixton Road and Stockwell Road Brixton
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
c 1921 Quin and Axtens Ltd started as a small shop on Brixton Road, but slowly expanded in both directions. By 1930, the store covered the entire block between Ferndale and Brixton Road. The frontage was rebuilt in a classical style a few years after this picture was taken. Note the trams making their way along Brixton Road.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Sept 2003 The exterior of the department store remains intact, despite the interior being completely destroyed by a German bombing raid in May 1941. In the early 1950s, the premises were refurbished, with the ground floor being converted into individual shopping units and the upper floors used as government offices.
« back to history homepage next page »