Then and Now: Brixton Road and Ferndale Road
Photographic comparisons of old and modern views of Lambeth
1910 A view looking south down Brixton Road by the junction with Ferndale Road. Note the fabulously elaborate frontage of Quin & Axtens nearest to the camera. Further down the road can be seen one of the many Bon Marche buildings in the area, with the railway bridges in the distance.
(pic: Lambeth Archives)
Jan 2004 Quin & Axtens rebuilt their store in the classical style between 1926-7, but this was destroyed in May 1941 by German bombs. The remains were refurbished into mixed use office/retail space around 1950. The old entrance is now used by H Samuel, one of the UKs oldest watch retailers. As this picture amply illustrates, Brixton Road has now become a very busy and very noisy thoroughfare.
» Quin & Axtens feature
« back to history homepage next page »